Love ’em or hate ’em, no one argues that Amazon hasn’t altered how people shop and vendors sell. While Amazon may account for almost half of e-commerce sales in the U.S.,¹ we were really struck to read that the Amazon Marketplace may have over five million marketplace sellers and that one million new sellers may have joined in 2017.² Speaking to merchants, we know there’s a seemingly endless number of complexities inherent in selling via the Amazon Marketplace ranging from listing optimization, to pricing, to feedback profile strategies, to competition, and of course many financial considerations. At least when it comes to accessing your data and bringing it into an analysis tool—ranging from Excel, to Tableau, to Python and many others— we’re happy to say that data.world can be of assistance:
- Create a dataset on data.world to hold your Marketplace data.
- You will need a Heroku account (note that it will need to be verified). While verification requires providing a credit card and while we can’t guarantee that you’ll never be charged, their free tier is extremely generous.
- Now we get to the fun part! At this stage, you’ll deploy an app with Heroku. Click here to begin the deployment process.
- As you move down the page, you’ll be asked for some info (detail here) about your data.world and Marketplace accounts.
- Press ‘Deploy App’ and if everything is correct, a copy of the application will be created in your account in a few minutes time, and your data will be available in the dataset that you created.
- Once it’s done, press the newly available ‘Manage App’ button, which will take you to your app’s ‘Overview’ page.
- Next, under ‘Installed add-ons’, click on ‘Heroku Scheduler’.
- The options that we select here determine when and how often the data is updated. Click to add a new job and type ‘make update’ in the text field. Select a frequency and under ‘Next Due’, select the time (in UTC) when the job should next run. Save.
- At this point, all is configured and the data will be updated at the scheduled intervals.
We hope this helps you grow your business. Try it out.