data.world makes data and analysis…
Findable and accessible
Trusted and up-to-date
Connected and in-context
Reusable and portable
Collaborative and actionable
What is a data catalog?
A data catalog is a metadata management tool that companies use to inventory and organize the data within their systems. Typical benefits include improvements to data discovery, governance, and access.
What makes data.world different?
data.world is much more than a data catalog. Here’s why.
All your knowledge
Metadata and definitions don’t make data useful on their own. data.world gives you complete context. Metadata, definitions, plus data, dashboards, analysis, code, docs, plus project management and social collaboration features.
Google, Amazon, and Facebook have knowledge graphs. Now it’s your turn. The more you use data.world’s patented knowledge graph technology, the smarter your data and your people get.
Born in the cloud
We’ve been cloud-native from day one. Our multi-tenant and single-tenant offerings are highly available, scale bigger, perform better, and evolve faster.
Built to integrate
Deploy faster and extend your capabilities farther with data.world’s growing array of integrations, connectors, APIs, and real-time webhooks.
For your whole business
You can’t multiply data’s value if only a fraction of your people can find, understand, and use it. data.world is self-service for your entire business. Our focus on good design and social user experience empowers everyone from IT people, data scientists, and stewards, to analysts, non-technical executives, and other business users.
How does it work?
Our data UX just makes sense. It’s designed for your full team, with Google-like search, Facebook-like networking and discovery, and clean display. And data.world helps people sharpen their data literacy and skills as they work.
- Newsfeed with team activity and trends
- Natural language search
- Content exploration and browsing
- Profiles and groups
- Following and subscriptions
- Notifications and alerts
- People directory
- Enterprise user integration (SAML 2.0)
Sarah catches up on the latest data, insights, and discussions across her team and company. data.world is her portal into all the company’s data and analysis assets and workstreams.
All your data, analysis, and insights, linked together. Easy to find, quick to access.
- Catalog data from any source: databases, business intelligence dashboards and reports, filesystems, shared drives, SaaS tools, APIs
- Find anything via unified, filterable, easy-to-use search
- Keep data up to date with one-time, recurring, or real-time syncing
- Automatically map all assets to the knowledge graph
- Tag and classify assets manually or automatically
- Certify assets for use via approval workflows
- Rich stewardship functionality for agile data governance
Sarah needs to perform a sales analysis. Automated inventory puts thousands of datasets, dashboards, and documents at her fingertips, and a quick search gives her the most relevant results.
Business glossary and data dictionaries
Define a common business and technical vocabulary. Communicate clearly and stay aligned across your company.
- Create and apply business term descriptions, summaries, and metadata
- Add technical data definitions so everyone immediately understands data in the same way
- Link terms to tables, dashboards, datasets, tags, and people to keep data clean, consistent, and discoverable across the business
- Make better data a company-wide effort, capturing suggestions to improve data as everyone works with it
Sarah doesn’t know the sales team’s lingo yet. The business glossary and data dictionary help her quickly learn common business terms, calculations, data columns and data types.
Data enrichment and knowledge graph
Automatically build a connected web of data and insights that gets smarter as you use it.
- Build your knowledge graph as you go: no semantic web experts or complex modeling tools needed
- Get smart, in-line suggestions for complementary data that can be immediately merged into your analysis
- Grow your knowledge graph’s value as you add new tags and data
- Discover and explore relationships within your data
- Find and use more data with recommendations on related assets and analysis
Sarah benefits from data.world’s semantic knowledge graph. It provides useful suggestions and unlocks a web of related business terms, data, dashboards, and people.
Curated data library
Add key data assets to your library for on-demand, fast access, peak query performance, and easy discovery and reuse.
- Turn on one-time or scheduled auto-sync
- Create a single source of truth with data that can power unlimited simultaneous projects, queries, and insights
- Securely cache in the data.world storage layer or keep assets at the source using our data virtualization connector and metadata catalog agent.
Finding the most useful data is easy for Sarah because in addition to browsing the vast inventory of the whole company’s data, dashboards, documents, and other assets, the most important items have been refined and curated. She spends less time searching, trying to understand, and performing data prep. Instead, she can focus on getting to insights.
Data quality and profiling
Quickly check quality to make informed distribution, access, and analysis decisions.
- Get warning and error alerts on data quality to make rapid assessments on next steps and impact on your analysis
- Automatically perform data profiling of key statistics, field formats, data shape, and more
- Directly query with SQL or SPARQL to explore deeper, just like any other data in data.world
- Publish cleansed, templated views of data for downstream team members to understand and reuse it more quickly and easily
- Integrate with your favorite data prep and discovery tools
Sarah can quickly determine if the data is of sufficient quality for her analysis. If not, she can improve it with her tool of choice, or route a request to someone for help.
Cross-data query engine
Explore and understand data with powerful, built-in, federated data query.
- Full SQL and SPARQL support (and training to help you keep improving your skills)
- Query data via the data virtualization connector in the secure data.world cache
- Create saved or parameterized queries for less-technical business users
- Get results fast on small and big data queries
- Display results in-line
- Save, share, and link directly to queries and results
- Save results as one-time or live-updated derived datasets as part of a data prep, cleansing, or distribution pipeline
- Download in one click or open in Excel, Tableau, Jupyter, and other apps
Sarah can explore, refine, and analyze data in tools she knows, like Tableau and Excel, or with data.world’s built-in query editor. She can combine multiple datasets for data blending. And she can save, share, link, and template queries and results.
Collaborative analysis projects
Team up to create better, faster, shareable insights in real-time.
- Load data from your catalog, drag and drop from your desktop, or connect with your favorite repositories
- Version every step for history, context, and reproducibility
- Save and share data queries
- Document data, methodology, analysis, and findings
- Post insights for everyone to consume and share
- Keep everyone up to date with real-time alerts and newsfeed updates
Sarah can create a project and invite teammates and subject matter experts to analyze together in real-time. Executives and other stakeholders can stay up-to-date on progress and new insights.
Convert tribal knowledge into business knowledge.
- Integrate with, explore, and visualize data in the tools your team already knows best, like Tableau, R Studio, Power BI, Excel, and more
- Discover, discuss, and share findings
- Combine multiple dashboards, charts, images, and text for better data storytelling
- Includes full link, rich media, and embed code support
- Document institutional knowledge so future analysis builds on best-practices and past conclusions
- Lock and preserve insights when analysis is complete for a rich, searchable archive
As Sarah and her teammates generate insights, such as model parameters, data visualizations, and recommendations, they can be published as intuitively as a social media post.
Usage and governance reporting
data.world gives you usage information to monitor and optimize your data literacy, governance, and self-service analytics initiatives.
- Query, analyze, and visualize usage data
- Identify highest and lowest demand data resources and top contributors
- Track total counts on datasets, projects, people, and organizations
- See the history of views, queries, additions, edits, and more
- Export usage data to share with executives and other stakeholders
- Download audit logs for more advanced reporting needs
When the governance team wants to see how data and analysis assets are being created and used by data professionals like Sarah, they can easily pull useful reports on counts, activity, and more.
Integrations, connectors, and APIs
Connect to data fast, get more from your existing investments, improve workflows and business processes, and build powerful new apps.
- Growing ecosystem of 50+ enterprise tool integrations across the entire data life cycle
- Get metadata into data.world via our easy-deploy collection agent, API, file transfer, or import from an existing catalog, governance, or metadata management solution
- Export metadata to your tools via API or file transfer
- Comprehensive API across all information assets and functions
- Use our comprehensive webhooks for real-time, event-driven integration notifications
- Build and connect custom apps with the same API that powers our 3rd party integration gallery
It’s easy to connect more data and integrate new workflows and tools, so Sarah’s company spends less time deploying and more time empowering employees to find, understand, and collaborate on data and insights.